Live Poll: Should Turnbull Resign Now ?
Senator Hanson’s call for Mr Turnbull to quit the top job came as Fairfax Media revealed the Liberal member for Bennelong, former tennis champion John Alexander, may be a dual British through his father.
The One Nation leader, whose party shares the balance of power in the Senate, made the demand shortly after the prime minister said he wanted Labor to support his plan for MPs to declare they are not a citizen of another country.
I want to say that this is not an audit,’ Mr Turnbull told reporters in Canberra on Monday.
‘The obligation is on each member and each senator to make a full disclosure.’
Within 21 days of the parliament approving the measure, MPs will be required to provide to the registrar of members’ interests a declaration that he or she was not, to the best of his or her knowledge and belief, a citizen of any country other than Australia.
They will also be required to declare the birthplace of their parents, following a dual citizenship scandal that saw Senator Hanson’s running mate Malcolm Roberts booted out of federal parliament last month by the High Court for holding dual British citizenship.
- YES 56%, 185 votes185 votes 56%185 votes - 56% of all votes
- But not to be replaced by Julie Bishop, 2 of a kind and untrustworthy.* 27%, 88 votes88 votes 27%88 votes - 27% of all votes
- Yes! resign and be replaced by Tony Abbott.* 6%, 19 votes19 votes 6%19 votes - 6% of all votes
- Should be tried for treason* 5%, 15 votes15 votes 5%15 votes - 5% of all votes
- resign* 3%, 9 votes9 votes 3%9 votes - 3% of all votes
- No 2%, 7 votes7 votes 2%7 votes - 2% of all votes
- Not to have Julie Bishop take his place* 1%, 3 votes3 votes 1%3 votes - 1% of all votes
- The lib's need to clean house and Tony is the one to do it! With the canny Credlin again! This time get rid of the Dreamers who want us controlled by the UN!* 1%, 2 votes2 votes 1%2 votes - 1% of all votes
- has to be julie bishop* 0%, 1 vote1 vote1 vote - 0% of all votes
- Rrsign ...if you don't its the end of the Liberals and back to the toxic Labor party.* 0%, 1 vote1 vote1 vote - 0% of all votes
- yes, but not replaced by the evil bishop* 0%, 1 vote1 vote1 vote - 0% of all votes
- yes all the above except number 6 and 9* 0%, 1 vote1 vote1 vote - 0% of all votes
f they had been a dual citizen, MPs would need to provide details and evidence of the time and manner in which their foreign citizenship was renounced or otherwise came to an end.
‘Members and senators have been put squarely on notice now,’ Mr Turnbull said.
‘I think it is important for people to be alert to this and start getting prepared.’
The prime minister said the High Court would remain the sole body that determined whether an MP was ineligible to sit in parliament.
Labor leader Bill Shorten said he was prepared to ‘engage constructively’ with the prime minister at a meeting on Wednesday.
There can be no arrangement worth striking unless it is fully transparent, unless it’s fair dinkum, unless it satisfies the Australian people that there are no remaining clouds over the eligibility of parliamentarians to sit in parliament,’ Mr Shorten told reporters in Melbourne.
However, he said he would not do anything that would stop the High Court from arbitrating on any issues which emerged from the disclosures.
The Australian Greens won’t be supporting the plan.
The prime minister’s about-turn came as Tony Abbott called for the dual citizenship ‘circus’ to end.